I am a Professor in the Department of Criminology at Saint Mary’s University in Halifax, Nova Scotia . I specialize in research relating to legal or regulatory responses to problems, particularly those that disproportionately affect women. In my research, I explore ways to provide alternatives forms of justice, broadly defined. I have done work about: Restorative Justice; Criminal Justice Policies; Gender Based and Sexual Violence; Campus “Rape Culture”. I am a Research Fellow with the Muriel McQueen Centre for Family Violence at the University of New Brunswick and The Restorative Research, Innovation and Education Lab (Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie).
Research in Progress:
- Evaluation of Nova Scotia policies and programs aimed at addressing campus sexual violence (funded by the Department of Labour and Advanced Education)
- Evaluation of Standing Together a provincial government initiative related to domestic violence (funded by the NS Advisory Council on the Status of Women)
- Evaluation of Waves of Change a Nova Scotia wide bystander training program on campus sexual violence prevention on university campuses
- Evaluation of the CoSA National Demonstration Project
- Contract to evaluate this national project using circles of support and accountability to support sex offenders released from prison (funded by Public Safety Canada)
- Engaging (In)Justice Stories – CLARI and SSHRC-funded Partnership Engage Grant related to the “justice values” of victims of gender-based violence
- iMPACTS: Collaborations to Address Campus Sexual Violence – SSHRC-funded Partnership Grant
- Canadian Domestic Homicide Prevention Initiative – SSHRC-funded Partnership Grant
I orient my work toward policy development and changing systems or organizations. I do empirical research. I dabble in diverse methods, qualitative and quantitative, and am increasingly moving toward narrative and participatory approaches. In the short video below (produced by Nova Stream Productions) I talk about my research approach.
I have worked with or been funded by the following groups and agencies: